September 13, 2020
Dear Unity North friends,
The lesson title for this week is “Blessing & Awe: Via Positiva.” You can find the Sunday lesson by clicking on the link below. The link to register for the Matthew Fox event is at the end of the list below.
This Sunday I begin a 4-week series of Sunday talks as an introduction to Creation Spirituality so that you can have more understanding of Matthew Fox before our virtual event with him on October 3. Here are 12 Principles of Creation Spirituality that he elucidated. You can see their compatibility with Unity teachings and why Unity students for the most part would resonate with them. I will be covering #5 over these next 4 weeks.
Love & Blessings,
Here is the link to Rev. Kathy's talk: https://youtu.be/CDzXrWfcBEE
Principles of Creation Spirituality
1. The universe is fundamentally a blessing.
Our relationship with the Universe fills us with awe.
2. In Creation, God is both immanent and transcendent. This is panentheism which is not theism (God out there) and not atheism (no God anywhere).
We experience that the Divine is in all things and all things are in the Divine.
3. God is as much Mother as Father, as much Child as Parent, as much God in mystery as the God in history, as much beyond all words and images as in all forms and beings.
We are liberated from the need to cling to God in one form or one literal name.
4. In our lives, it is through the work of spiritual practice that we find our deep and true selves.
Through the arts of meditation and silence we cultivate clarity of mind and move beyond fear into compassion and community.
5. Our inner work can be understood as a fourfold journey involving:
– awe, delight, amazement (known as the Via Positiva)
– uncertainty, darkness, suffering, letting go (Via Negativa)
– birthing, creativity, passion (Via Creativa)
– justice, healing, celebration (Via Transformativa)
We weave through these paths like a spiral danced, not a ladder climbed.
6. Every one of us is a mystic.
We can enter the mystical as much through beauty (Via Positiva) as through contemplation and suffering (Via Negativa). We are born full of wonder and can recover it at any age.
7. Every one of us is an artist.
Whatever the expression of our creativity, it is our prayer and praise (Via Creativa).
8. Every one of us is a prophet.
Our prophetic work is to interfere with all forms of injustice and that which interrupts authentic life (Via Transformativa).
9. Diversity is the nature of the Universe.
We rejoice in and courageously honor the rich diversity within the Cosmos and expressed among individuals and across multiple cultures, religions and ancestral traditions.
10. The basic work of God is compassion and we, who are all original blessings and sons and daughters of the Divine, are called to compassion.
We acknowledge our shared interdependence; we rejoice at one another’s joys and grieve at one another’s sorrows and labor to heal the causes of those sorrows.
11. There are many wells of faith and knowledge drawing from one underground river of Divine wisdom. The practice of honoring, learning and celebrating the wisdom collected from these wells is Deep Ecumenism.
We respect and embrace the wisdom and oneness that arises from the diverse wells of all the sacred traditions of the world.
12. Ecological justice is essential for the sustainability of life on Earth.
Ecology is the local expression of cosmology and so we commit to live in light of this value: to pass on the beauty and health of Creation to future generations.
Here is the link to register for the Matthew Fox event: http://UnityNorthMN.org/Fox
A couple of notes:
1. If you are not already a member, please join the Friends of Unity North Facebook page for frequent updates.
2. For those of you who shop at Amazon.com, please go to smile.amazon.com and sign up to have a percentage of your purchases donated to Unity North Spiritual Center. Thank you for helping us in this way.